How to Keep Your Christmas Greenery Fresh
Do you love using fresh greenery during the holiday season? Adding greenery instantly brings the outdoors in and creates a warmth to the home during the season. Add some lights to your greenery and you instantly have a festive arrangement. I try to use as much fresh greenery as often as I can, but keeping it fresh can require some preparation.
Caring for Fresh Loose Greenery
Fresh greenery inside the home will last for about two weeks but if the greenery is outside it will last longer. The best choices for fresh greenery are cedar, pine and fir. Always purchase or gather your greenery close to the time that you will be needing it.
How to Keep Christmas Greenery Fresh
Fresh greenery clippings
1. Gather your greenery clippings and re-cut the stems at a 45 degree angle, and smash the ends with a hammer. This will help the stems retain more water.
2. Fill a bucket with 1 part room temperature water and 1 part glycerin. Set the greenery stems in the water and allow the fresh greenery to soak over night.
3. Remove the stems from the water. Use the stems to make your own fresh garlands and wreaths.
More Tips for Keeping Christmas Greenery Fresh
1. Use the freshest greens you can find. They should have a strong aroma and a nice green color. Avoid any greens that already have brown sections.
2. Give them a daily mist. If you have fresh garlands and wreaths, give them a little water each day. This really helps them to last longer!
3.Keep greenery away from heat, and sunlight, both of which dries out the greenery very quickly.
Using fresh wreaths, and garlands are beautiful choice for the holiday season. The fresh scent and vibrant green color can brighten up any room. With these few tips, you will be able to keep your fresh Christmas greens alive a little longer through the Holiday season.
This post contains affiliate links.